Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Symbols: sun and moon

On page 404 of Jung's Seminar on Dream Analysis, he states the sun and moon have something to do with the structure of the mind.  To me, that is a powerful statement, one that I don't completely understand.  I do understand that we have projected qualities onto the sun and moon such as sun being masculine and active and rational and the moon being mystery, irrational, feminine, and passive.  And certainly these characteristics are part of my own individual makeup. Even if I don't completely understand what he means, I do relate to the characteristics of each and can find relevant aspects in my own psychology.
I like that Jung searches through our past, both near and far, to uncover deeper and deeper associations to images.  It brings a certain richness and depth to those images that come to me in my dreams.  And, then I can find the certain characteristics of these images which touch me with their meaning.  In order to travel these paths, I have to yield up my scientific demands and my Western way of approaching meaning.  That is not easy to do because it is so ingrained in me.  My friend, Pat, has been helping me with this understanding and how challenging these views are to my scientific frame of reference.

5 comments:

pattherapist said...

Still trying to leave a comment.

onthepath said...

One of things I think is cool about relating and connecting to your self through these symbols is thinking about how people throughout history have done this. You are holding the thread of Life lived in connection to The All. It's like charting a course using the same stars that people throughout time have used. Something about this is very profound and moving to me. Thanks for continuing to share the journey and educating those of us who aren't aware of all this.

pattherapist said...

Diane - it sounds to me as though you do understand what Jung means - that as our minds begin to discriminate and see differences among people and objects and ideas, we perceive in terms of opposites. Male/female; dynamic/passive and so on. The sun for the most part has been associated with heat, light, activity, consciousness and masculinity - and the moon with coolness, mystery, receptivity and feminity - not in all cultures throughout history but in most. So if I dream that my garden is dried out and the plants withered, I know it needs moisture - work with the unconscious and the irrational. If my garden is flooded and rotting, I need to be more conscious or rational. This is simplistic but I think it's the general idea. Reminds me of the therapist in Wels who said "Sometimes you need Mama, sometimes Papa."

trueerror said...

sherry: interesting that you would mention the stars because the images and meaning of the sun, moon, and the stars are all buried deep within us. It is like charting a course using the same stars that people throughout time have used. Thanks

trueerror said...

Pat: your comment feels clear to me, and I agree that becoming aware of the opposites is how we first form ourselves.