Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Life's task

Today I have some clarity about the dilemma I have been swirling around in.  My dreams have been very powerful, and then I wonder how I can relate to them in reality.  Is having a powerful dream enough or do I have some responsibility to bring that content into the mainstream of my life.  Actually, bringing those dreams into my life is not the issue so much as do I have an obligation to bring them into the world:  a greater life than my own.  Yesterday, I read a passage in Jung's Psychology and Alchemy which helped clarify this problem for me.  "...almost unbearable tension because of the utter incommensurability between conscious life and the unconscious process, which can be experienced only in the innermost soul and cannot touch the visible surface of life at any point."  In truth, the rationality of the cosmos is constantly being violated in some of the same ways that the unconscious process violates our surface life.  This sentence is a paraphrase of Jung.  The task at hand seems to be to accomplish the paradoxical union of irreconcilables.  Sometimes I cannot handle this task without feeling crazy and only when I realize the inherent difficulty of the task can I even approach the questions that I have. 

1 comment:

onthepath said...

Just a note again to say that I am following along, reading your entries, always. Too much on my plate at the moment to do more than pay attention to where you're going, without comment for now.