Thursday, June 5, 2008

Matter and Spirit

In Jung's Seminar in Dream Analysis, he spends quite a bit of time exploring the relationship between the patterns of the stars and the patterns of our human lives.  I find this interesting because it brings together for me a parallel cycle between the stars and us:  for example women menstruate according to moon cycles:  certainly not every woman having her period at the same time as every other woman, but there are cycles in each individual woman which are fairly constant.  Perhaps there is not such a difference between matter and spirit as I have thought.  What Jung talks about in these pages brought to my attention an interaction between matter and spirit.  Or perhaps a facet of the same process.  That matter and spirit are the same energy seen by my eyes and ears as different when in fact they are the same.
I am holding these thoughts to see what comes of them.

3 comments:

pattherapist said...

Marie Louise von Franz says that spirit is what produces images and arranges them in a meaningful order. (I'll get the exact quote) Is that the spirit you're talking about when you say spirit and matter are two sides of the same thing? I think I know what matter is (most of the time) but i feel baffled over and over again by this idea about the relationship between spirit and matter.

Just now I do recall a dream I had during the last worship we had about this. In the dream I saw a rock and heard a voice saying "It's alive! And when I woke I thought - ok - there is life in apparently inanimate matter. I can see the image and even accept that there is life in the rock, but I don't know what to do with this information.

The moon has cycles. Women's bodies have cycles. I don't know what to conclude from that. It must have something to do with me and how I understand my life - but - what?

pattherapist said...

Uh- oh. Just reread my comment and saw that I wrote worship instead of workshop. That must have meaning - but...what?

onthepath said...

Would you call that a Jungian slip, Pat :-)? I love reading the dialogue between the two of you. That's all for now. Off to work.