Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dancing to the tune of a different drummer

Music, dancing, actually any movement seemed to awaken our souls; especially mine.  There are the witches of fairy tales who dance and chant around their pot, or cauldron, which could represent the vessel we are ourselves.  The cauldron is an image in the I Ching of our own vessel which needs protection and care.  The witches dancing feel protective to me.  When I had cancer and was undergoing chemotherapy, I had a dream in which the medicine was boiling in a pot, and I was told to infuse loving kindness into the chemotherapy medicine.  After that dream, the treatments seemed less toxic, and I was able to bring the opposites together through this wise message from my unconscious.
Walking in circles may also be some protective measure for my psyche while I am so introspective right now.  Concentrating so much of my energy on my inner work certainly challenges my ego which wants me to be active in the outer world rather than so introspective.  I am following where my process leads me which right now happens to be studying in detail the images of my dreams.  Rhythm, dancing, and music are my guides right now.

1 comment:

linesandcircles said...

The part about introspective work challenging your ego hits home hard for me. Thank you for writing it. How often I've felt dancing to the different tune this way, and alone in it, which only brings more resistance from an ego that says, 'Stop wasting your life, the world is passing you by!'

Maybe I get stuck inside too much, but if I could support the 'inside' work more, maybe I wouldn't. Why can't I see more often that what 'passes me by' is akin to any of a hundred choices each day in local stores, restaurants, or grocers I also let pass me by? They variously aren't what I want.

We can only have faith that what we want, just like what we don't, is tied to what we need, and what we absolutely do not.

But those moments where we feel we are doing what is right for us, despite an entire world that might tell us otherwise, are precious, yes? Even still, don't we need some sense of belonging to this process in humanity in order to have--sense--that faith?

Someone once say that faith is tied to experience, that otherwise it's blind belief. Even Jung said something about our need for the connection between our consciousness and tangible reality of our selves, our being and our bodies. I'd have to find the quote.

Yes, your words give me a tangible experience in belonging to something greater than myself as I follow my need to spend time and energy on my insides, that it might help me in my (outside) world.