Saturday, June 7, 2008

Structure of the psyche

I think that what Jung is referring to is that images come from stars, sun and moon as well as inorganic represented by earth, air, fire and water, and also reptilian (cold blooded creatures).  Down deep in our unconscious are the foundations  of life prior to when human (warm blooded) creations came into being.  So we receive images from these layers of our unconscious because they form the structure of our psyche.  When I first realized that my unconscious held all the history of mankind (and now history of life), I felt comforted to know that I had a simple, true, individual place in the whole history of life.
When images of snake, black pearl, or whatever, I know I am in touch with ancient history and that the image has something to share with me about my life now.  Finding the meaning of these symbols is fascinating to me, and I enjoy search until I find a meaning that completes my search for I feel a relationship to the image.

1 comment:

onthepath said...

You know, it's not just down deep in our unconscious that the foundations of life that preceded "human" exist but also in our anatomy and physiology. The first brain structure that develops in our body is the reptilian brain. Maybe it's like ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny in all realms of our being-ness - -our physical body, our psyche.