Saturday, May 31, 2008

Black Pearl: Ghost Ship

An interesting case of synchronicity occurred last night when "Pirates of Caribbean:  Black Pearl" was shown on television.  Many of you have probably already seen this film, but I had not.  Last night I was fascinated because this is a ghost ship that is invested in returning gold coins to their original owners who were Aztec.  Anyway I saw some evil/good meanings in the film.  So at least Hollywood is on the same track as my understanding of the dream:  that black pearl implies some coming together of good and bad:  one of the first opposites we face when we separate from our parents.  Actually the ratio of good to bad is what helps us develop a healthy ego to go into the world.  If there is too much bad, we seem destined to a life of difficulty and suffering.  However, again, some people find their way through that challenge and achieve some integration and sometimes greatness.
Aside:  Jung believes that psychologically we should be looking forward rather than backward in our life journey, and I am comforted by this belief.  Our dreams help us to stay on the forward-looking path.  More later.  

3 comments:

Jed said...

don't over look the compass. I forget which movie it's in but the compass which the captain uses to find the 'treasure' is directed by the captain's will.

onthepath said...

It seems to me, also, that the movie (I haven't seen it, bear in mind) is an example of how good/bad is not so clear cut and "black and white" as we might wish it to be. The apparent "bad" guys are also good guys, it sounds like. I like the idea of this, too. The world is so much more textured than narrowly defined. I don't know if this corresponds with anything in particular from Jung, but it's what I'm thinking about as I'm reading your entry today.

onthepath said...

Ok, I just reread your entry and realize that what I'm saying isn't something different really than what you're writing about. It's connected.