Saturday, May 24, 2008

Projection

I like that Jung reminds me that projection happens to us.  We are not in charge of it.  However when it does happen (whenever we have a strong positive or negative reaction to someone else), it is an opportunity to discover something about ourselves which we have kept in the dark.  I know how hard this is:  we are certain that that  trait is about the other, not at all about ourself.  However if the goal is to become conscious, then I know that my strong reaction is telling me something about claiming another part of me.  Ahggg.  
The price of consciousness is that we need to reclaim all the parts of ourselves.  We can't just determine to be conscious of how good we are; we also need to reclaim how we can be the one who steals, murders, lies, etc.  This post sounds a little preachie, and I suspect that is just so I can distance myself from what I am saying.  It does take a big commitment and a continued one to be able to welcome home all those parts of me that I either love or hate in someone else.  Amen!

No comments: