Thursday, May 22, 2008

Dreams

My dreams have been challenging lately.  When my dreams introduce me to my shadow side, I have such mixed feelings about them.  Of course, I want to know my dark side, and of course, I would rather not have to face those parts of myself that have been hidden in the dark.  Here is the deal!  Life is about becoming conscious:  I can't become conscious without facing all the parts of me.  So that said, I thank my dreams for confronting me with those parts of myself I prefer to deny.  
Whenever there is a person in my dream that is female, I know that is  a part of my shadow. Whenever there is a male person in my dream, I know that is an animus figure who represents my relationship to the unconscious.  These are Jung's views, and I use them as guides to my dreams.  Lately I have had what Jung calls personal dreams which are dreams that inform us about our dark side.  In the past I have had impersonal dreams which are dreams that inform me of a much greater world (psychic) and how I relate to that.  You have probably heard of the collective unconscious and the personal unconscious.  So our dreams come from one of those two places according to Jung.

2 comments:

pattherapist said...

Diane - I would love to hear a dream that you identify as being about your shadow. I want to know whether a dream is about the collective unconscious or the personal unconscious. I think I have a sense of this, but i get confused. Pat

Unknown said...

I'd like to hear about the dream too. How does learning about the shadow side affect who you are? How does it impact your awareness in daily life?