Monday, May 26, 2008

Fate

Long ago when I was married to a paranoid schizophrenic, my father told me that if I weren't such an emotional stick, he (my husband) would be alright.  How is that for taking responsibility!?  So you can see why having a concept and now an experience of fate has been so important to me.  Jung has said that God is anything that crosses your path and changes your life substantially.  That has happened for me many times:  marrying a schizophrenic, losing my first son, and breast cancer to name just a few of the major events of my life.  
Also good things have happened such as getting hired at the University, having two more children.  There were times in my life when it seemed like everything I touched turned to gold.  I never felt that I had orchestrated those events.  My experience told me that these opportunities came my way, but I had no understanding of fate.
What if there is a blueprint of our lives that we come into the world with, and then our job is to actualize that blueprint?  Based on my life experiences, I know this to be true.

4 comments:

onthepath said...

I love this statement about a blueprint. What determines the changes that might occur from the blueprint? Or is that part of the blueprint, too? There is a quote that I love from George Eliot that goes,"It is never too late to become what you might have been."
Do you think we have a new blueprint for each lifetime or do we have a Soul blueprint that we build over the many lifetimes???????

trueerror said...

On the path:
Getting on and off the path are all part of the blueprint. And the other questions seem metaphysical rather than psychological. The important questions is to discover the meaning in whatever events shock us on our way.

pattherapist said...

Being born with a "blueprint" means (to me) that as a member of the human species I have a particular potential for development - then being a descendent of my tribe, my ancestors, my potential becomes more specific, or more detailed. Then if, as happened to me when I was a child, I'm discouraged or scared, (because I don't meet the expectations of you- know- who) my potential becomes more limited.

However, if fate is kind, I may meet some person or experience some epiphany and be lifted up and put back on the path to health and wisdom again. (I think health and wisdom are aspects of the original blueprint that belongs to a human being.)

Then - other things happen, other people cross my path, that are helpful or destructive, and my task continues to be to meet the challenge and move forward with the plan - or maybe just wait a while until the way forward becomes clear.

Gary Sparks (Jungian Analyst) told us of the dream of a woman in midlife. She was shown a circle in pencil and a bunch of different colored clay and told that her task was to fill in the circle. So she had some creative leeway - but within limits. She did not have the option of doing nothing but whining about the size of the circle.

(Sometimes I don't know what gets into me - that I have the nerve to write this stuff ON THE INTERNET!!
I

Jed said...

As an architect I am weary of the use of the term ‘blueprint’ to describe a life path. I feel as if life is something that is a composite of experience that you have control of as well as experiences that you don’t have control of. Anyone that has lived through 'good' and 'bad' times can agree with this. I don’t really have too much to say other than search for another metaphor that is not two dimensional, abstract and limited with it’s outcome.