Sunday, May 25, 2008

Responsibility

While I have been growing up, I have felt like it is my responsibility to take for all those happenings in my life.  And there have been some tragic ones which then left me with heavy guilt. In 2004, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and this "taking responsibility" for everything that happened to me was challenged.  I began to look for the meaning in my cancer rather than brooding over how I had caused it.  A whole new world opened up for me, and eventually led me to Jung.   Shortly before my diagnosis, I had a dream of being a shark in a zoo.  I was sitting with other sea "people" and we were discussing how the electric fences that kept us enclosed probably were not charged anymore.  I said I was willing to test the waters and I did.  I found that I could swim out into the sea, and there was no charge to keep me from doing so.  I called back to my friends and told them we were free, and they wouldn't come join me.  The question that kept coming to my mind was the relationship between freedom and cancer.
Jung believes and now so do I that each event in our lives has both a cure and a injury attached.  I did have to go through a mastectomy, chemotherapy, and now arimendex to keep the cancer under control.  But also I was given insights about my life and the direction I needed to take form this point forward.  
Fate has a role in our lives:  not just each self struggling with the lessons. 

1 comment:

onthepath said...

That's very cool....a cure and an injury. All things present opportunity. I'm really interested in hearing that continued as you continue your entries because I'd like to grasp it better. If there is occasion to point out what is cure and what is injury in other circumstances please do.