Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Greatest passion

It still surprises me when I find something that Jung has said which brings me great comfort.  In this case he says that the strongest passion in humans is not hunger, sex, or power, although these are quite strong; the very strongest passion is laziness.  Again this is in Marie Louise von Franz's book on Archetypal Patterns in Fairy Tales.  Several months ago, I went through a period of several months when I couldn't do anything.  My interest was gone, my libido was hiding, and I was so uncomfortable with not feeling connected to any of my common interests.  I think of that when I read what Jung has to say about laziness.  
I am glad to have my energy back:  it feels more familiar.  In our Western Society we have been taught to work hard, and that was certainly true in my family.  Both my parents worked  very hard as did my  brother and myself.  So when I hit a place of no energy and no interest, I became very upset with myself.  Who knew that laziness was a great human passion.

3 comments:

onthepath said...

Passionately lazy. I wonder why Jung says that. Does he describe what he means by lazy? I'm wondering if he is referring to the same thing I think when I hear the word lazy or if there is a texture to his sense of lazy that I'm not getting yet. Is there more you can say about it? Lazy does have such a negative charge to it in our culture.

Jed said...

everyone underestimates laziness.

circles&lines said...

I wonder if laziness can be seen as a passive version of power. Clearly there is healthy, life-affirming, power and unhealthy, life-annihilating, power. And it seems to me that laziness often falls into the category of passivity, in terms of a desperate way we give up, as if at the time it is our only route, due to our levels of support, to enjoy a break from the rat race of life.