Monday, July 7, 2008

Dreams point in a direction

Marie Louise von Franz says (and I am paraphrasing) that turning toward the unconscious is like taking a new medicine and waiting to see the result.  Most likely a creative process will begin.  I have had patients in psychotherapy who did not want to turn toward the unconscious, and they were committed to finding a solution to a problem that concerned them rather than watching what their dreams were saying.  Often what I am focused on in my waking life has nothing to do with what the Self wants from me as expressed in my dreams.  It certainly brings a new perspective to me to realize that what I am so focused on is irrelevant to my dreaming life and therefore to my purpose in life.  What a concept!!  In my experience, I have found both with myself and others that we spend a great deal of energy focusing on some little or big problem and it turns out that it has not real importance in our lives.
Should I leave a relationship may not have any meaning to the real purpose of our lives, and only if we go to our dreams can we realize what we might better focus on.  Our rational concerns very often are not relevant to the real meaning and purpose of our lives.

1 comment:

Varda Leah said...

Diane,

I keep wondering about my dreams right now and what they mean. I have been running fevers lately, of unknown origin. When the fever peaks at 4:00 a.m., my dreams get bizarre. Once there were slugs attacking me, and another time there were dead rats everywhere I stepped. Then once in awhile a live one running across my feet.

When I awoke the fever was gone. I have often wondered about the nature of these dreams. You know me, I have fought fevers and nightmares for many moons, but they are getting worse since my diagnosis of "lupus", which I am not accepting yet. I choose to think of it as a bump in the road and I just have to alter my lifestyle and listen to my body a bit more. It keeps messaging me! I have had to realize, lupus is just a word and not the definition of who I am. Please let me know about the dreams they started when I was 9. I am curious as is my doctor. I miss you alot, and congrats on the grandchild!

I have had to do some nasty treatments for the lupus and am off of them for now. I can't get past the ideas that it is poison that is going into my body. I wish I could figure out how to be a cooperative patient and take the drugs. They do help, but the idea of them bothers me. Who would have though that would happen to me?

Ginger